157th Infantry Regiment Crest, 45th Thunderbird Division Second WorldWar

Private Bob Sheridan

157th Infantry Regiment, 45th Thunderbird Division, Second Worldwar

Introduction to the WWIIRA and 45th Infantry Division, World War II Reenactors

An explanation of who the WWIIRA and World War Two reenactors are

What you will want to know if you have an interest in working with us.

The photo gallery has historical images of the WWII, Thunderbirds and 45th ID reenacting photos.

Information about Venturing Crew 1941, Boy Scouts of America

HomeWho We AreWant to volunteerPhoto Gallery Venturing Crew

These are the World War II events that you will find the WWIIRA in attendance.

Learn about the Men and campaigns of the 45th Infantry Division in WW II.

Links to 45th related, World War 2, or community support websites

Learn about our project to help our present day Military with civilian relations

Table of Contents listing all of the pages on our WW II 45th Division and Reenacting website, including a list of Maps.
Schedule of Events Unit History Wounded Warrior Project    LinksTable of Contents

Yahoo Group replaces
message board!

We have shirts, sweatshirts, Golf Ts with Thunderbirds and regiment crestsStickers, calenders, clocks and more...Hats,Mugs, travel mugs, We'll work on customizing just ask us!
Looking for Thunderbird gifts?
Would you like to help support this website?

Please stop by and visit the Gift Shop!



Hit by Death, Then Taxes; Ed Lowe

Copyright 2002 Newsday Inc. Reprinted with Permission www.Newsday.com

DOROTHY AND BOB SHERIDAN met at a party in her native Freeport. They were 18, though she was the elder by some months. "Dot" graduated from Freeport High School in 1938; Bob was an alumnus of Hempstead High, '39. Dot was a legal secretary; Bob was hoping to get a union card as a printer's apprentice. They "kept company," or, dated, exclusively, until Aug. 24, 1941, when they eloped to Elkton, MD.

Bob (Robert N.) became a linotype operator at the then-new daily newspaper, Newsday. Later, he would switch employers and hold a longtime job as a linotype operator with the Doubleday publishing company, on Franklin Avenue in Garden City, but he would not start that job until after World War II.

Bob entered the U.S. Army Feb. 17, 1943, and became an infantryman. The Sheridans gave up their first apartment, and Dot returned to her parents' house in Freeport to wait out the war. "I did go down to Georgia, once, to visit him," she recalled recently. "He had come down with meningitis. He was in a coma for days. Finally, he came out of it and got well. So, as soon as he recuperated, they sent him overseas. He ended up in Anzio, Italy, where the Americans had their backs to the sea. It was very scary. He was in the 45th Division, 157th Infantry, from February of '43 to October of '45.

"They broke through Anzio and worked their way north. On the drive toward Rome, he got shrapnel in his leg. They awarded him a Purple Heart. After they reached Rome, the Army sent him back to Naples for amphibious training, in preparation for the invasion of southern France, in which he took part on Aug. 15, 1944. That September, he was machine-gunned in his right foot and was returned from Italy to the United States on a hospital ship, the General Anderson. It landed in South Carolina. From there, he was shipped to Fletcher Army Hospital in Cambridge, Ohio, which was best known at that time for treating leg and arm injuries.

USS General A.E. Anderson, APA-111


"I went out there and visited him," Dot said. "I was working at the time at Mitchel Field, for the Inspector General's office of the Air Force. I was a secretary to Col. Loring Pickering. He was the head of the Field Air Inspector's Office at Mitchel Field. Meanwhile, Bob spent six months in Fletcher Hospital. While he was there, he got another Purple Heart for that machine gun injury and an Oak Leaf Cluster medal. After Bob recuperated again, he was sent back to New York to work in the GPO, the General Post Office, in Manhattan. He still was in the Army. The Army used to take returnees who couldn't do much and put them to work in the Post Office.

"He was finally discharged in 1945. We didn't even know he was up for another medal, and I can't tell you how it actually happened. I don't know. The Purple Hearts he had gotten while he was enlisted. The Bronze Star medal came much later; very much later-say, 1957. The Army informed him by letter that he had been awarded the Bronze Star. I still have the letter he received. It read: 'For exemplary conduct in ground combat against the armed enemy on or about 1 March 1944, in The Mediterranean Theater of Operations, while assigned as Private, 157th Infantry Regiment.'

Back To Top

Back to 157th Veterans page

All Contents of this website are under copyright by the World War II Recreation Association
or used with permission of original copyright holder

View My Web Statistics

last revision